Pages

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Letter #1: Sweet Pea



Dear you,

“I’m like the rack of your brassier – I always seem to falter, and the words just get in the way.”
-Amos Lee lyrics

We’ve been together for quite a while now. Not romantically “together”, but just together. In friendship. In a sort of life-partnership way. Just as two kids, who slightly hate each other, tackling life together. I love how we kind of hate each other and how we hate all the same things. And because we hate the same things, we love each other. Our relationship is quirky and no one understands it, except us. Our friends think we’re crazy. People get concerned about us. People come up to us and ask. They wonder if we’re okay.

And sometimes, we aren’t okay. I get really ticked at you sometimes. You get really ticked at me sometimes. Sometimes we don’t even tell each other how ticked off we get. But we always tell everyone else how ticked off we are. Maybe that’s why people are concerned. I’m not entirely sure.

We’re not very loyal to each other, you and me. We stab each other in the back. I don’t know if you ever feel that way, but I do. I know I’ve stabbed you in the back before. And for that, I’m sorry. The thing is, I kind of care about what you think. I’m not always conscious of that fact. But I do care. And sometimes I am so scared of telling you when I’m angry at you, because…well, I don’t know. I’m kind of scared of how you’ll react; I’m scared of hurting our friendship; I’m scared of hurting you. Even though I don’t act like I care, I do. I don’t know why I talk to everybody else before I talk to you. I shouldn’t do that. I should get over this fear of hurting you, because the backstabbing hurts you worse.

I have lots of “adopted siblings”. But maybe you’re most realistically my sibling. We’ve spent that much time together, and we’ve fought enough. We look nothing alike and our personalities are insanely different. We both look down on each other. (Admit it.) We both slightly hate each other. And I’m not going to pretend that we don’t tick each other off, because we do. A lot. I just want you to know that I actually like who you are, even though I don’t act like it. And I love you, too. I don’t understand how much I love you. I don’t understand it because it so inaccurately reflects my actions towards you. We’re jerks to each other 80% of the time. And yet I really love you, and it’s weird, and it’s awesome, and nobody understands this dynamic except us.

We’re cool. Bowties are cool. Cheers to us, and cheers to the oddness.


-

1 comment:

  1. In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him
    ~Ender's Game

    It doesn't exactly fit at all hah, but your's reminded me of it, Great job!

    ReplyDelete