Pages

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Point 1: Definitions




Point 1: Definitions. If you’re not a debater, you completely missed that debate-pun-beautifulness. And it was, indeed, beautifulness.

Depending on the day, if you asked me to define myself for you, you might hear something like the following:

Good day: I’m Emily Rose, a music-loving, lyric-humming, overanalyzing, corduroy-skinnies-wearing, brownie-baking, punk-haircut-rocking, pun-sharing, poem-writing, coffee-sipping, candle-loving, sarcasm-quipping, old-book-reading, stay-up-late-ing, and homework-accomplishing teenager. I’m a debater, a speaker, a friend, a sister, a daughter, a Christian, a singer, a writer, a person. A person who loves to laugh, who is seeking hope and truth just like the rest of us. A person who loves to connect with other people and share their burdens. A person who loves hugs and distributes them ridiculously often. A person who is a fighter and a rebel. A person who thinks her life is beautiful.

Bad day: I’m Emily Rose, a sinner who hates everything. And that’s basically everything you need to know about me.

Snazzy day: I’m Emily Rose, a chica who loves and/or rocks red lipstick, jeans, red high-heels, long hugs, bedhead-hair, coffee with French-vanilla cream, snuggles, cinnamon gum, perfume splashes on my wrists, pearls, black evening gowns, combat boots, red toenail polish, leather jackets, Bon-Jovi music, slow dancing, really any dancing, and did I say red lipstick? Muah.

Bleh day: I’m Emily Rose, a kid with endless homework, a crazy family, and an overactive thought-process; who doesn’t really sleep well, who does not have a fun time with her kidneys, who probably needs a hug, who wishes I could redo a lot of things, who has lots to do and not enough time to do it. Is today over yet?

Again, depending on the day, you may or may not hear the following things if you asked me to define myself. I might be so busy telling you all the “stuff” about me that I forget to tell you the rest. I probably wouldn’t think to tell you who I really am.

Official Definition: I’m Emily Rose, a child of God. A sinner saved by grace. An individual who has been through much, but who has been loved so much more. A girl whose struggles have enabled her to drip with compassion and empathy. A girl on a journey, hand-in-hand with her Savior. A person undeserving of eternity with God, yet who has been given His eternal companionship. A wayward child whose sin could yet not blot out the hope of her Savior. A disciple and admirer of her God. A part of the Bride of Christ. His servant. His child. His friend. His Bride. His student. His light to this world.

So let’s start at Point 1: Definitions. And let’s talk about what really defines you.

Not pain. Not struggle. Not sin. Not things. Not regret. Not menial responsibilities. Not your own suppositions.

Whatever you think defines you, it’s not all-powerful; your savior is. It’s not capable of breaking your heart; your savior’s sacrifice is. It’s not going to define you; your savior’s love is.

Your humble opinion (and my humble opinion) aren’t capable of defining our worth as a person. Only your Savior has that capability. And that is really such a beautiful, beautiful truth.


-Emily

3 comments:

  1. Hey Em dear! I totally understood that debate joke ;D (I'm so glad I took debate, if only to understand my sister's random debator jokes :P) I LOVE THIS POST! I love you....and I love everything you do....well not *everything* but you know ;) This...YOU ARE AMAZING! As a write, as a sister and as a person! *muah*!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daww. You are such a blessing. Holy cow. I love you. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a reason why we're sister ;D <3 LOVE YOU!

      Delete