Pages

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Dear Benjamin



Dear Benjamin,

Heyy buddy. It's me, your big sister. The girl who wakes you up with kisses even though I know you're going to yell and hit me and then go back to sleep. The girl who bribes cuddles out of you by promising to make you coffee. The girl who had to stay home and babysit the day you were born, even though I desperately wanted to be there. The girl who was so excited to see you for the first time, that mom had to make me sit in time-out until I calmed down. The girl who annoys you with hugs. The girl who introduced you to 38 Special. The girl who bought you a coffee mug and Lindt Lindor truffles for Christmas. And yes, I am also the girl who secretly replaced "Dear Haley" to "Good Morning Cutie" in your letter last time.

I'm your big sister. You know that. I'm ten years older than you and you're my little kid. You're really mom's kid, but you're my kid too. You always will be. Sorry.

Next year, I'm going to graduate and I'll be off at college. You were really worried about that when I first began highschool. You didn't want me to move away. Not sure if you still feel that way. But as college and whatnot gets closer, I'm starting to think I'm going to miss you a little bit too. Because you're my little Benjamin, and you're very miss-able.

And as you grow up, you should remember a few things about this big cruel world. I've lived in it ten more years than you. So you should listen to me. Here's what you need to know:
1) Gum on the streets is not free-candy.
2) Don't argue with mom, even after you start Debate. She'll use her fiat power to override any argument of yours'.
3) Keep beating up on people who pick on you. Even some of my friends are terrified of you.
4) Read the book before you watch the movie.
5) Learn to not give a crap about what people think. Live your life.
6) But all the time, listen to the wisdom of lovely people.
7) Don't underestimate peoples' ability to manipulate and use you. Take care of yourself.
8) Listen to good music.
9) There is no such thing as too much coffee.
10) You can always come to me, with anything. I will not ever judge you. I've been there and done that.
11) Don't let homework stress you beyond reason.
12) Care about people deeply.
13) Please do not ever sacrifice your happiness for success.
14) Don't be afraid to fall in love.
15) When you fall, fall deeply.
16) Bug mom insanely about getting your driver's license. Otherwise, she will never get around to it.
17) Persevere in Debate, if you choose to do it. You'll be great. Just have fun.
18) Pain never lasts. But when it comes, allow yourself to experience it.
19) Watch Anchorman 2 sometime. It looks really good.
20) If mom blocks internet browsers on your iPod, call me. I haz skillz.
21) Don't be a butthole.
22) Be the best man you can be. Always. It will be worth it.

And mostly, remember I would give the world just to see you smile. I adore you. Grow up safe. Stay lovely. I love you.
-Emily

1 comment:

  1. AWWWW!!!! That has to be THE SWEETEST thing I've EVER read! ^.^ <3 Littles grow up too fast, and the littlest ones are never little long enough. Much love to you, Benjamin and your ENTIRE family! ~ Your sis Jazz ^.^

    ReplyDelete